Doh! DOH!! Hmm... Doh-nuts... and Energy Swords

"The Diary of a Dad" by Homer
A chronicle of the Doh!s and Woohoo!s during my life journey with Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie.
Aussie Malaysian Family. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Monday, November 21, 2005

Palm News Reader Essentials

Time for some more geek speak.

Of all the applications on my Palm T3, it's the news readers that get the most usage.
It's just so easy to download all the day's news from all your favourite websites in one hit.
And then they're ready to read anywhere.

Each of the apps below provide 320x480 support for the T3. And they allow for storage on the SD card as well. Each also has their own conduit to allow seamless Hotsync interaction.
  • Avantgo (www.avantgo.com)
    My primary newsreader. Mainly for my daily dose of Slashdot, Wired News, Sci-Fi Channel and the Sydney Morning Herald. Recently, they've added support for RSS news feeds. Unfortunately, the 3MB limit isn't enough, and I'm too stingy to pay for the 8MB upgrade - which leads me to...
  • Quicknews (http://standalone.com/palmos/quick_news/)
    Great little RSS/ATOM feed reader. You can even add feeds on the client. Lets you save your favourite posts. Unfortunately, does not support pictures - which leads me to...
  • Plucker (http://www.plkr.org/) and Sunrise (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
    This freeware combination has recently dethroned my reliance on iSilo and iSiloX, mainly for the RSS support. Sunrise is a Windows java application that parses RSS and HTML feeds and creates Pluckr documents with all the images and links of the source document. You can specify image size and link depth too.
    Pluckr is a popular open source Palm reader. It renders pages very nicely. I also like the way Pluckr handles unresolved links. If you don't have wireless, it will save the bookmark to a memo entry for later retrieval.

And the cool thing is, when I get my Palm TX, I'll be able to use these same applications online!

Hmmmm... wi-fi.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home