Doh! DOH!! Hmm... Doh-nuts... and Energy Swords

"The Diary of a Dad" by Homer
A chronicle of the Doh!s and Woohoo!s during my life journey with Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie.
Aussie Malaysian Family. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Where were you when Cahill scored THAT goal?


Maggie woke up crying again at around 12:45pm on Monday night.
I barely heard her, through the headphones.
I was in bed, staring at my notebook.
Of course, my notebook was connected to the portable DTV tuner.
I was watching the beginning of the end of the Socceroos' World Cup fairytale.
One nil down against Japan. Just over 10 minutes to go. So many missed opportunities.
As Maggie's cries intensified, I took off the headphones, and crawled out of bed.
I turned back to see if Marge was awake. Nope - she was oblivious to the wailing across the hall, and the sporting disappointment unfolding across the world.

When I got to her room, Maggie was sitting up - as she usually does. She looked through me. And just kept crying.
I tucked her back into bed. She kicked off the covers and cried even louder.
My mind drifted back to the game, as I pondered what to do.
"It's over anyway. Might as well stay with Maggie until she falls asleep"
"No - don't give up. Australia may have already equalised. You can't write them off yet!"
So in one fluid motion, I rushed the crying Maggie back to our bedroom, jumped into bed, threw placed Maggie beside her sleeping mother and turned to the screen.

Australia: 0. Japan: 1.
My heart sank. 83 minutes gone, and nothing had changed.
A minute later, EVERYTHING changed. Australia's first World Cup goal. At least we come away with a draw. What a sigh of relief.
Five minutes later, I jumped up and punched the air as Cahill scored his 2nd.
(And so did Marge, except her punch connected with my leg as she scowled at me for waking her up!)
And when Aloisi made it 3 - 1, four minutes later, I was just smiling like an idiot. It took me another 2 hours to get to sleep after that.
What a game!

Well done Socceroos!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home