Doh! DOH!! Hmm... Doh-nuts... and Energy Swords

"The Diary of a Dad" by Homer
A chronicle of the Doh!s and Woohoo!s during my life journey with Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie.
Aussie Malaysian Family. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Friday, December 30, 2005

Narnia: The Teacups, the Pins and the 'Benton.

On Tuesday, my cousin and her boyfriend made the trek from Sydney to join us for lunch (and a hilarious 80's session of Karaoke Revolution Party)
They came bearing gifts from the Sydney clan. The kids loved their presents.
  • Bart's biggest challenge with his new badminton set is trying to pronounce it. "Benton?" "Bedbenton?" "Bedmentin?"
  • Lisa has already managed to scatter her tea set throughout every room in the house. She'll also stop me occasionally to pour imaginary liquid down my throat. She and Maggie have great fun with it.
  • Maggie's hair band/pin kit was a major hit with Marge. Now she has more tools at her disposal to turn our daughters into literal china dolls.
That night, I surprised Bart by taking him to watch The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
I remember enjoying the book when I was young. It was the first fantasy book that I had read, and probably whetted my appetite for the whole fantasy genre.
Some reviews have described the movie as LoTR for kids with a bit of Passion of the Christ. For me, the Christian parallels strengthened the story, and they were portrayed well.
I was very impressed with the movie, even though it was aimed at kids. And it was probably aimed at 'slightly older than Bart' kids.

I watched Bart's posture throughout the movie. He was leaning back for most of the first half, sometimes stretching and sighing out of boredom.
As things got intense he turned sideways a bit and watched proceedings from the corner of his eye.
By the final act, he was literally on the edge of his seat, leaning forward - savouring the visualisation of the types of battles that he plays out all too often with his friends.

At 140 minutes, it was the longest movie that he's sat through.
We had a chat in the carpark afterwards. He was still evaluating what he had witnessed. He said it was pretty good.
But later he admitted to me that he didn't like the movie that much - too scary.
But those battle scenes - yeah, he'd like to watch them again and again. (or in Bart speak - "a thousand million times")

I've already reserved the DVD at the public library when it gets released next year.
A futile gesture - I'll end up buying it anyway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home