Doh! DOH!! Hmm... Doh-nuts... and Energy Swords

"The Diary of a Dad" by Homer
A chronicle of the Doh!s and Woohoo!s during my life journey with Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie.
Aussie Malaysian Family. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

From the mouths of babes and 8 year olds who talk like babes

Hearing our kids develop from babbling babes to semi-coherent little people is amazing.

These days I'm still getting over hearing Lisa talk.
Whenever we have fish for dinner, she'll yell out excitedly "Nemo! Nemo!"
Her favourite question: "How are ya doin?"
And when you ask her the same, she'll always respond with "I'm fine"
So far her questions are very answerable.
Unlike Bart with his "Daaaaad? How many [pick a noun]'s are there in [pick a city, state, country or planet]?"

Lisa's also developed an interesting linguistic quirk. Words ending in consonants will somehow get an extra 'er' or 'ed' tacked onto the end.
For example: "Daddy, I want peanut butter breaded" or "I want to read the book'er"

Bart has also unconsciously developed his own sentence structure.
I commend him on trying to tailor his vocabulary to suit his sisters, but his use of "no-no" is not going to impress anyone.
For example: "Lisa, you no-no touch my toys" or "Maggie, this is no-no Maggie's"

Maggie still babbles.
She can say "Daddy" and "Mummy" and "book" and "bubble"
But there is one command that she has learnt - one that gives her power.
And that command is "back".
She'll walk up to me (and only me) at any time of day and utter it with a huge emphasis on the "ck" sound.
And it would be wise for me to obey.
Because her definition of "back" is 'stop what you're doing and give me a piggyback, or I'll start screaming'
It works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home