Doh! DOH!! Hmm... Doh-nuts... and Energy Swords

"The Diary of a Dad" by Homer
A chronicle of the Doh!s and Woohoo!s during my life journey with Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie.
Aussie Malaysian Family. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Thursday, March 02, 2006

On this day,,,

25 years ago...
My Dad died.

I wish that I could say I knew you well.
But I was just a kid, just a couple years older than Bart is now.
I remember that you were always busy with work, just like I am now - I suppose.
And even though you worked back late, you would still find time to bring back toys. Like father, like son. :)
When I was sick, you'd have a plastic model kit waiting to cheer me up. It didn't matter that they were several years beyond my ability (and I really botched up that Apollo 13. No wonder it wouldn't stand. I had all the legs facing outwards!)

My clearest memory:
You and me, just the 2 of us, in the queue at Hoyts on George St, waiting to see Star Wars.
It must have just opened, because it was so packed.
You also bought me a ViewMaster set, with the Star Wars reels.
And my first Star Wars action figure: R2-D2.

Thanks Dad. You have no idea how close I hold that day to my heart.
(It also kicked off an expensive obsession with Star Wars that has filtered down to your grandson, but I'm cool with that)

I also remember the wake that we had at home, with all our relatives filling the place like sardines.
I remember seeing so many containers of prawn dumplings, but with no appetite to eat them.
I remember sitting on Uncle Mike's lap, sobbing away.
I remember Aunty Jen, wiping my eyes as she struggled to hold back her own tears.
She kept saying "Remember the good times. Remember the good times with your father"
I didn't see the wisdom in that. It just hurt even more. And it made me want to wail even louder.

25 years later...
Aunty Jen and Uncle Mike have also passed on.
And I have more memories. Good times. And tough times.
Yes, I still remember. How could I ever forget?
Miss you heaps.











- Your son

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home